Sunday, September 11, 2011

Newsworthy


I did it! I managed to read my weekend newspaper, nearly all parts, in one sitting. Granted the children were away visiting their grandfather for the afternoon, thus giving me the chance to burrow myself in all this crackling black and white glory. I love receiving my weekend newspaper, having it sit waiting for me somewhere in my front garden, depending on the aim of its thrower.

Today however, my paper did not arrive. There's nothing worse than going outside, morning coffee already cooling, looking under hedges and over the neighbour's fences just in case the rogue paper has made its way there. No paper. I had to go to the newsagency and actually purchase today's copy. Something I've not done for a long time.

Hands up if you're guilty of leaving your newspaper sitting around, building up with the intent of reading, having them sit forlornly with paper edges curling away? I have. Much to the chagrin of my husband. He always threatens to throw them in the bin and I overreact screaming like a banshee at him. I haven't read my favourite columnists yet! Sometimes the pile builds up so high that I guiltily throw them away myself.

There are only two parts I put straight into the recyling. The sports section and business section. I have no interest in those subjects whatsoever. Depending on what mood I'm in the careers section may also leave our home unopened. I save the actual news part to read over my morning coffee, and I usually intend to read the rest in the afternoon. But who has these afternoons to spare anymore? As I said earlier I only managed it because the children were away and I was severely procrastinating from finishing off an assignment due soon.

So joy of joy, I have finished the papers this weekend. I only attempt the weekend papers. I used to get the whole week delivered, and the pile sitting awaiting me then was indeed formidable. But of course that was pre-children and now I only make time for what matters. The books and arts section of course.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...