Saturday, July 02, 2005

writer's angst

So what, exactly, is holding you back? These words have been rolling around my head for a few days now. I know I want to write, but I don't know what to write. I like to read many different genre's, so I seem to think about writing in a similar vein. That is, should I write fantasy, romance, a mystery, a great literary epic, something historical, write about my travels, or Children's fiction even? Ocassionally I have an inspirational idea. I begin, and then begin to flounder. I'm putting all this down as a combination of writer's angst and procrastination. No, I really shouldn't forget all the distractions either. I must confess at this point, my love for TV. There's another show beginning soon. Even my study time revolves around TV breaks during the day. They are of course valid breaks. Here is a break down of one of my study days:
9.30am - gym
11.00am - begin studying
1.00pm - break for lunch. This is accompanied by today's episode of Days of our lives
2.00pm - do dishes and clean kitchen. This is accompanied by today's episode of Young and the Restless.
3.30pm - study some more.
4.30pm - break for Bold and the Beautiful.
5.00 - Depending on what I am making start dinner and do some more studying.
6.30pm - finish studying for the day. Dinner time. Watch Neighbours.
Sometimes I may continue studying if I have a major essay due. However, as you can see, I'm a soap addict. I validate this addiction by using them as my breaks from studying.
Sometimes I try to treat a writing day this way also. This does not work. I would also like to point out that I do not have study days everyday of the week. These days may occur only once or twice a fortnight, as I also have to attend lectures and tutorials and on other days I work. So another validating reason is my catch up on all the daily soaps.
But this is supposed to be about writer's angst, and I have been distracted by telling you of my study habits. Maybe that's it. I need to focus more. I heard recently that Hemingway wrote at least thirty words each day. He said it was best to have a blunt instrument - or words to that effect. Perhaps this is the answer. Write something (no matter what) each day. It doesn't have to be much, or even brilliant.
Well It's lunch time now, and I'm tired, and there's a TV show that I want to watch that's about to begin. So that's enough writing for now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...